- Managing Partner
Joanne Young, Managing Partner of Kirstein & Young, PLLC, is engaged in commercial and federal regulatory law practice, with a focus on aviation. She represents both international and domestic aviation companies, airports and investors before U.S. Government agencies, Congress, and the courts. She has been actively involved in the full range of legal issues arising in the aviation industry, including the start-up of new airlines; contested route cases, code-share agreements and alliances; airline ownership/control/ citizenship issues, international negotiations, documentation of aircraft and airport leases, purchases, charters, criminal and civil antitrust issues, airport grants and compliance issues, security, international privacy law, DOT and FAA enforcement, consumer protection issues, hazardous materials regulation, commercial transactions and government contracts, legislative issues, arbitration, and litigation.
Ms. Young is listed in the International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers She has testified before U.S. Congressional Committees on subjects such as aircraft noise regulation, code sharing and the sale of operating slots at U.S. airports.
Ms. Young was elected President of the International Aviation Club (IAC), the International Aviation Womens Association (IAWA), the Washington Foreign Law Society (WFLS), the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia, and as Chair of the Regional Airline Association (RAA) – Associate Member Group. She founded Executive Women in Aviation and served on the Board of the Women’s Bar Foundation (WBA) and the ABA Air & Space Law Forum.
Ms. Young currently serves on the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Industry Advisory Board and is Co-Chair of the Republican National Lawyer's Association (RNLA).
Ms. Young was named the 2013 Attorney of the Year by the Boy Scouts of America National Capital Area Council and serves on the Board of the City Club of Washington and as a Co-Chair for the Annual Vital Voices Kennedy Center Global Leadership Awards. She was named a Star of the Bar in 2015 by the Women’s Bar Association.
Ms. Young is a member of the Export-Import Bank 2019 Advisory Committee.
Ms. Young is a Member of the New York State and District of Columbia Bars and a graduate of the Georgetown University Law Center and Wesleyan University, where she served as a Trustee. Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Young completed a judicial clerkship and worked as a trial attorney for the Civil Aeronautics Board. She spent several decades as a partner, including with the New York firm Lord Day Lord, Barrett Smith, and with Baker Hostetler, before founding her present firm in 2006. She has published the Washington Aviation Summary since 1984, a monthly publication covering key developments in the industry.
Areas Of Practice
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
- U.S. State Department
- U.S. Justice Department
- Aviation/Shipping Commercial Agreements
- Federal Legislative and Congressional Matters
- International Privacy Law
- Export Controls
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1974
- Wesleyan University
- B.A. - 1971
- Honors: cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Republican National Lawyers Association, Co-Chair
- International Aviation Women's Association, Past President
- International Aviation Club, Past President
- International Aviation Women's Association, Board Member
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Past President
- Women's Bar Association Foundation, Board Member
- Washington Foreign Law Society, Past President
- Board of the Icelandic-American Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Board of the City Club of Washington, Member
- Regional Airline Association, Past Chair, Associate Member Group
- Wesleyan University, Past Member, Board of Trustees
- Executive Women in Aviation, Founder, Professional Group
- New York State Bar, Member
- District of Columbia Bar, Member
- Export-Import Bank, Member of Advisory Committee